There will be a Chapter General Membership Meeting on Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 12 PM in Rm. 9295, 9th floor auditorium of the Weiskotten Hall Addition (WHA). Lunch will be provided for pre-registered UUP Members only. You must register by Wednesday, January 25 to attend. This is an in-person meeting only.
Register using the QR code below or at: https://bit.ly/UpstateElection by 3 PM January 25th.
The agenda will be:
- Presentation of the 2023-24 UUP Chapter Budget and Vote;
- Presentation of the Chapter Elections Process, Roles and Responsibilities, and Nomination Form Submissions. Bring your nomination forms with you to the meeting!
- We will be joining the Lunch & Learn (Chapter and Affiliate Election Process) online at 12:30 PM to hear UUP Statewide Secretary-Treasurer Jeri O’Bryan-Losee describe the UUP Elections Process to all of us.
You may also choose to attend the UUP Chapter & Affiliate Election Process Lunch and Learn Events on:
- Tuesday, January 24, 2023 – 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM – Register Here
- Wednesday, February 1, 2023 – 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM – Register Here
- Thursday, February 9, 2023 – 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM – Register Here
Every two years, UUP holds Chapter Elections for the Officers and Academic and Professional Delegates for a two-year term beginning on June 1, 2023 and ending on May 31, 2025.
The approved schedule for the 2023 chapter elections is:
- January 18 & 19 – UUP Chapter and Affiliate (NYSUT, AFT) Nomination forms mailed to UUP members
- February 17 – Chapter and Affiliate Convention nominations forms due at UUP HQ
- March 13 – 16 – Chapter Election Ballots will be mailed to chapter members
- April 21 – Chapter Election Ballots are due at UUP HQ
- April 24 – 28 – Chapter Election Ballots will be counted
You must be a UUP Member on 1/13/2023 to run for Chapter Officers and Delegates and vote in the Chapter Elections.
UUP Upstate Medical Chapter Officer and Delegate positions up for election include:
- Chapter President (all chapter UUP members vote)
- Chapter Vice President for Academics (only chapter academic UUP members vote)
- Chapter Vice President for Professionals (only chapter professional UUP members vote)
- Chapter Officer for Contingent Employees (all chapter UUP members vote)
- Chapter Secretary (all chapter UUP members vote)
- Chapter Treasurer (all chapter UUP members vote)
- Chapter Officer for Retirees (all chapter UUP members vote)
- Chapter Academic UUP Delegates (only chapter academic UUP members vote)
- Chapter Professional UUP Delegates (only chapter professional UUP members vote)
- Chapter Delegates to NYSUT and AFT Conventions (all chapter UUP members vote)
Chapter Officers and Executive Board
The definitions and responsibilities of the Chapter Officers can be found in Article 5 of the Chapter Bylaws.
You can find a copy of the Chapter Bylaws here.
The definition and duties of a Chapter Executive Board Member can be found in Article 6 of the Chapter Bylaws.
Chapter Academic and Professional UUP Delegates
The Upstate Medical Chapter typically has 16-18 Academic and 40-50 Professional Delegate positions available. The exact number of UUP delegates awarded to each chapter will be determined on January 13, 2023 based on the number of Academic and Professional UUP Chapter members with one Delegate seat awarded for every 75 UUP members in each category. An Academic/Professional Delegate is an elected representative of the Chapter who represents the chapter locally on the Executive Board and at Statewide Delegate Assemblies (two/year).
UUP Statewide Bylaws identify that a minimum of 5 votes are required to be a Chapter Delegate to the Statewide Delegate Assembly. The Upstate Medical Chapter Bylaws require 10 votes for a UUP Academic or Professional Delegate to become a voting member of the Chapter Executive Board. The definition and duties of a UUP Delegate are defined in Article 8 of the Chapter Bylaws.
A full description of the Roles and Responsibilities of a UUP Delegate can be found here.
Register today for the UUP Upstate Medical Chapter General Membership Meeting to vote on the annual chapter budget and get involved by running for a Chapter or Affiliate Officer or Delegate position!