Should I join UUP?
Are you considering joining UUP but are not sure of what joining means or what benefits are gained from joining?
You should be aware that as a full-time or part-time professional or academic at SUNY Upstate Medical University, you have the right to join United University Professions (UUP), the affiliate of New York State United Teachers (NYSUT) and the American Federation of Teachers (AFT).
UUP is the largest higher education union in the nation, representing the more than 35,000 professional employees at 29 state-operated State University of New York (SUNY) campuses. It is the only organization designated to negotiate a contract with New York State for SUNY’s academic and professional employees. This contract sets and protects the terms and conditions of your employment.
Over the years UUP’s negotiated contracts have meant the following
- competitive compensation packages
- tenure protection
- academic freedom
- superior health/benefits packages
- continuing support for affirmative action and social justice
- funding for professional and academic development
In addition UUP has negotiated a long list of benefits and professional programs for its members.
(some sponsored by NYSUT and AFT):
- Dental and vision plan insurance coverage
- Free group life insurance
- Free tuition on a space available basis
- Discount products and services
- (Apple, AT&T, Bally’s, BJ’s, Enterprise, Goodyear, Liberty Mutual, Office Max, Verizon Wireless, etc.)
- Eligibility for NYS Health Insurance Program
- Individual Development Awards
- Technology development awards
- Safety and health training
- Retraining fellowships
- Affirmative action leaves
- Campus project grant
Especially important is UUP’s role as a leading force in the American labor movement. UUP speaks with a unified political voice on behalf of higher education at the state, national, and international level.
Within New York State, UUP acts as a watchdog, challenging legislation or state/federal policies that may affect higher education funding or members’ contractual rights, including tenure and academic freedom. As a result, UUP’s lobbying efforts have helped prevent millions of dollars in budget cuts and the loss of thousands of jobs in SUNY.
As a bargaining unit member, there is no additional cost to you in joining UUP. But there are invaluable gains—to members, to students, to the university, and to a more productive and healthy society.
Please consider joining the us by simply signing the membership card and sending it to the chapter office. It doesn’t cost you anything and there’s really nothing to lose.